Here the Knowledge About HTTP V/s HTTPS?
The following article will give you a brief about the basic difference between HTTP and HTTPS and will also discuss about SSL Certificate.
HTTP stands for Hypertext Transfer Protocol generally defined on Port No-80. And it is most basic form where, it allows for the communication between different systems. It is most often used to transfer data from a web server to a browser to allow users to view web pages.
Usually the static websites use HTTP format.
HTTPS stands for Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure generally defined on Port No-443. HTTPS is advanced form of HTTP and it came in existence because the problem with the regular HTTP protocol was that the information which flows from a server to browser and is generally not encrypted, which means it can be easily stolen and can be hacked by hackers or any third person.
HTTPS protocols can do this by using a Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) certificate, which creates a secure encrypted connection between the server and the browser, protecting potentially sensitive information from theft when transferring between the server and the browser.
Now, the most important difference between the two versions is the concept of SSL certificate.
In fact, HTTPS is basically an HTTP protocol only with additional security. However, this added security feature is very important, especially for websites that take sensitive data from its users, such as credit card information and passwords.
Now How HTTPS works?
The SSL certificate first encrypts the information that every user supply to the site, which then basically transfers the data to a secure code and even if someone manages or tries to steal the data which is being communicated between the sender and the recipient, they would not be able to understand it due to this encryption.
HTTPS is also secured via TLS (Transport Layer Security) protocol that is an additional feature over SSL. Now here TLS helps to provide data integrity, which helps in preventing the transfer of data or from being modified or corrupted, and authentication, which proves to your users that they are communicating with the intended website.
Advantage of switching to HTTPS?
- Increased website ranking.
- Increased trust value with visitors.
- Easier access through AMP (Accelerated Mobile Pages) i.e it helps content to load faster on mobile.
- HTTP: Hypertext Transfer Protocol. (Port-80)
- HTTPS: Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure (Port-443)
- HTTP mostly used on simple websites.
- HTTPS mostly used of E-Commerce sites, banking or any other sites where users have to give their details.
- HTTP does not offer any security so there is maximum chance of data leak by hackers or any third party person.
- HTTPS offers security in the form of encryption key, where there are no chances of data leak by any third party person.
- Types of CA validation certificates used by HTTPS – Domain Validation, Organization Validation and Extended Validation.